Valor dress guidelines have been established to give students freedom with responsibility that is consistent with the values of our school and to aid in allowing students to pursue instruction and learning without distraction. The policy focuses on modest dress that does not bring discredit to the wearer or the school, does not distract students from learning, and is safe.
If a student or parent has a question about the acceptability of a particular item, please bring it to the Dean of Students for input and clarification before wearing it to school.
Pants, Shorts or Skirts
Any color or pattern sized to fit;
- Hemlines may not be shorter than mid-thigh.
- Clothing that is in good shape without holes, tears, frays. Ripped or torn jeans are not appropriate.
- Sweat pants or athletic pants/shorts are out of dress code; for either gender; gym shorts are not in dress code. Shorts must have belt loops.
- Yoga pants, jeggings, and leggings are appropriate only when worn with tops that cover the rear-end and encircle the front and the back.
- Joggers are permitted but cannot be of athletic or sweat material for either gender.
- Only short that are mid-thigh are permitted for either gender .
- Any color or pattern.
- Shirts that are modest, cover the torso and not low cut, when a student’s arms are lifted, the shirt must cover their belly. Girls may wear sleeveless shirts provided that the shoulder blade is covered (no tanks or straps). Spaghetti straps or off the shoulder shirts are not permitted.
- Backless shirts are not permitted.
- Shirts or attire that endorse alcohol, drugs, or inappropriate sexual activity are not permitted. To include behavior that is inconsistent with Valor’s core values.
Insignia, Emblems, and Brands (and Words)
Positive logos, brands, designs, and messages are permitted – that are aligned with Valor’s culture
Items such as notebooks, folders or backpacks should display appropriate and positive qualities or slogans that are aligned with Valor’s culture.
Hats/caps are not allowed in any building during the school day.
Footwear must be worn.
Female students may have no more than 2 earrings in the ear and one small stud in the nose. Males are allowed to wear stud earrings only, one per ear. Nose rings are out of dress code.
- Boy’s/Girl’s hair must be of a modest style, well-kept and neatly groomed. Unnatural colors of hair must be muted and not outrageous. To include extreme haircuts.
- Boy’s facial hair should be well-kept and neatly groomed.
- Girl’s makeup should be tasteful, modest, and non distracting
- Tattoos that are considered not in alignment with our core values are prohibited
- Drawing symbols or words on the arms, face, legs, or visible areas are prohibited
- No extreme use of makeup, i.e. Dark eye liner, heavy lipstic
- Sleepwear and slippers are prohibited unless associated with a designated spirit day