Our Academic and College Counseling staff are experts in helping students navigate the college admissions process from start to finish. Our curriculum is designed to meet the most unique or rigorous college admissions requirements, so every student can pursue a college admission that best fits their goals. We also help support our students for academic success throughout their high school career.
Meet the Counselors
- Our counselors guide students from all four years of high school through the college admission process. Read about our year-by-year approach.
- We help students learn about college options, complete and submit college applications, write college essays, find financial aid opportunities, gap year programs, alternative college options, and athletic recruitment.
- We conduct Individual College Planning (ICP) meetings with each student and their family sophomore through senior year to assist with achieving college admissions and career goals.
- We host over 100 college reps each year from across the country in our annual College Fair, biannual College Day, and campus lunch visits.
- We personally review seniors’ college applications and essays in order to assist in providing the best possible quality of applications prior to submission.
- In partnership with parents, we help students create an academic success plan, when additional support is needed. We partner with our Academic Support Team, Social and Emotional Services Team, Deans, and Teachers to support our students for success during their high school career.
We provide a variety of data-driven tools that help students identify their career interests and optimize their college journey.
- We are a PSAT, ACT, and CLEP testing facility. CLEP testing allows us to facilitate College Board exams so students can demonstrate mastery of introductory college-level material and earn college credit.
It’s About Fit, Not About Rank
Valor students matriculate to some of the most prestigious schools in the country. However, our priority is to help all of our students find the right fit for college, regardless of where a college or university is ranked.
We know how ranking systems work, and we’ll let you in on a secret: they are rarely designed with student’s unique skills, interests and well-being in mind. That’s where we come in.
We work alongside students and parents to help identify the kinds of schools in which each student has the potential to achieve and thrive. Our favorite thing is to discover that a Valor grad is thoroughly enjoying the school of their choice, making friends, pursuing academic and co-curricular interests, and learning more about themselves every day.
Oh, The Places We Go
Optimizing For College
Our students have matriculated to fantastic colleges and universities across the country and around the world. They are mainly concerned with finding the best fit, where they can pursue their academic and professional goals while enjoying their environment. Parents care about fit too. But even more, they are asking two fundamental questions:
- What is my student going to do with the rest of his or her life?
- How do we afford the increasing cost of college.
We offer two programs, YouScience and CLEP Testing, that help address these questions and provide tools for optimizing the college journey for your student.
YouScience is a data-driven approach to aligning student’s interests and aptitudes with college programs and degree pursuits. Tools like YouScience take into account a student’s expressed interests and also their natural abilities and personality traits, to create a composite view of careers that might be attractive.
Students can dig deeper into those career options, examining factors like salary levels and work requirements. They can then explore post-secondary options including college and vocational programs that catch their interest.
The College Board’s College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) has been the most widely trusted credit-by-examination program for over 50 years, accepted by 2,900 colleges and universities and administered in more than 1,800 test centers.
Tens of thousands of students have used CLEP tests to save thousands of dollars, test out of General Education Credits, and accelerate their degree pursuits. You can learn more about Valor’s CLEP program here, and see an example of how CLEP tests work at a sampling of well-known colleges.
Colleges Visiting Valor
Each year, we host hundreds of college representatives on our campus. Freshmen through seniors have the opportunity to meet with representatives, attend presentations, learn about the college admissions process, and browse a variety of schools at our annual College Fair and biannual College Day.
We also host lunch visits throughout the school year for college representatives to meet our students. Please contact Zonya Hamilton, College Visit Coordinator, to schedule a visit, or schedule a visit through Naviance RepVisits.